Australia is one of the most sought-after destinations for study abroad among students. They are home to 43 state-of-the-art universities that offer excellent education and research facilities. Many Australian degrees and vocational courses include work experience programs and internships so you can gain hands-on industry experience and grow your professional network while you study.
IELTS and PTE are both equally accepted in almost all the universities in Australia. If you are looking to enrol in a reputed and high-ranking university, you should secure a minimum of 6.5 overall band score in IELTS.
Let us look at the top universities and the IELTS score required to get into them:
|University||Courses accepting 6.5 band score|
|The University of Sydney||The Institution of Sydney, founded in 1850, is an open research university that is regarded as one of the best in the world. The institution offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and professional, speciality, and liberal studies degrees. Most Masters of Data Science and Master of Engineering programmes demand an overall score of 6.5. A 7-band score is required for the MBA, M.Arch, and Masters of Physiotherapy.|
|RMIT University(Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)||The RMIT places a strong value on research and technology, and it has a 5-Star QS ranking for higher education excellence. Almost all Masters of Engineering, Bsc Nursing, Masters of Data Science, and MBA programmes have a 6.5 band score as an entry requirement.|
|University of Melbourne||Over 38,000 students attend Australia’s second oldest and one of the highly regarded universities in Melbourne. With 11 residential colleges, the institution provides on-campus housing for its students. The University of Melbourne is also a member of the prestigious Group of Eight, an alliance of Australia’s leading research institutions. A 6.5 band score is required for postgraduate programmes such as Master of science (computer science), Master of engineering (mechanical), and graduate courses such as Bachelor of science in physics and other fields. However, a 7 band is required for the Masters in Business Analytics and MBA.|
|Monash University||Monash University was founded in 1958 and was named after Sir John Monash. Monash University is the country’s largest university. It is a contemporary, global, and research-intensive university in Melbourne. It is Australia’s largest university and is placed 57th in The World University 2022. Monash University is one of Melbourne’s most diverse universities, with international students from over 170 countries. Their most renowned programme, the MBA, requires only a 6.5 overall band score. Masters in Theatre Performance, Masters in Fine Arts, and Masters of Arts in Music Composition and Performance all require a 7 band score.|
|Victoria University||Victoria University is one of Australia’s finest universities, offering everything from apprenticeships to short courses to doctoral degrees. The majority of undergraduate courses require an overall 6.5 band score, with a few courses requiring only a 6 band. A 7 band is required for the majority of postgraduate programmes, including MS.|
|The University of Queensland (UQ)||The University of Queensland is placed 48th in both the QS World University Ranking and the Graduate Employability Ranking, making it ideal for career-oriented students worldwide. Postgraduate courses are available at the University of Queensland in six fields. A 6.5 band score is required for the MIM, MEng, MBA, and MS programmes.|
|Griffith University||Griffith University’s teaching and research have centred on the most pressing social and environmental challenges. It has constantly been recognised in the top 2% of universities worldwide. A 6.5 band score is required for almost all undergraduate and postgraduate courses.|
|Central Queensland University||Central Queensland Institution is the largest university in regional Australia and is known for its world-class research. In terms of education and employability, CQ University achieved 5 stars in the QS Stars evaluation system. Courses are available in eight primary areas, including health education and humanities, psychology, social work and community services, information technology and digital media, engineering and built environment, and business administration. Postgraduate programmes such as MBA, MIM, and MEng only require a 6.5 band score.|
|Deakin University||Deakin University, Victoria’s fourth university, was established in 1974. It is one of the best public institutions in Australia. It plans to build world-class facilities, including a $55 million engineering complex, clinical simulation centres, and an Elite Sports Precinct. A 6.5 band score is required for most undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including LLB and LLM.|
|The University of Adelaide||The Institution of Adelaide is an open university that was founded in 1874 and is the third oldest university in Australia. The university’s academic curriculum is divided into five faculties: the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Mathematics, the Faculty of Professions, and the Faculty of Sciences. Almost all of these programmes require an IELTS band score of 6.5.|
|University of Wollongong||The Institution of Wollongong (UOW), a prominent Australian public research university, began operations in 1975. The University of Wollongong began operations with one campus in Wollongong, which is also the flagship campus, and now has ten campuses around Australia and overseas. A 6.5 band score is required for the MIM, MBA, BBA, MArch, and many other popular courses.|
To know more about IELTS scoring, check the article IELTS Score Calculator – How Is IELTS Score Calculated?
What is the group of 8 universities in Australia?
Go8 Institutions are Australia’s top-ranking universities, similar to the Ivy League in the United States or the Russell Group in the United Kingdom. The group has a significant research focus, with six universities conducting about 70% of Australia’s research. The Go8 is committed to, and a leader in, influencing the establishment and implementation of long-term sustainable national higher education and research policy, as well as the formation of elite international alliances and research partnerships.
Most students prioritise Australia’s prominent Group of Eight (Go8) universities when picking which university to attend. The Go8 universities are regarded as the crème of the crop.
The Go8 universities are as follows:
- University of Melbourne
- Australian National University
- University of Sydney
- University of Queensland
- University of Western Australia
- University of Adelaide
- Monash University
- UNSW Sydney.
Features of Group 8 Universities:-
- The Group of Eight (Go8) is made up of Australia’s most research-intensive universities.
- The Go8 is committed to, and a leader in, influencing the establishment and delivery of long-term sustainable national higher education and research policy, as well as the formation of elite international alliances and research partnerships.
- Go8 universities are consistently ranked first in Australia in global rankings.
- Seven of the Go8’s members are among the top 100 colleges in the world.
- 99 per cent of Go8 research is of world-class quality or higher.
- The Go8 has multiple worldwide alliances and agreements with universities and research organisations in Brazil, China (in collaboration with the C9), Chile, France, and Germany.
- The Go8 teaches 380,000 students, accounting for more than a quarter of all Australian higher education students. Every year, it produces approximately 96,000 high-quality graduates.
- Its student body consists of 100,000 foreign students from over 200 nations.
- More than half of Australia’s doctors, dentists, and veterinarians are educated at Go8 universities.
- 55 per cent of Australia’s science graduates are educated in Go8 universities.
- More than 40% of Australia’s engineering graduates are educated at Go8 universities.
- The Go8 is the market leader in postgraduate education, enrolling more than one-third of all postgraduate students and over half of all students pursuing higher degrees by research.
- Universities accepting IELTS score 6.5 in Canada
- Universities accepting IELTS 6.5 in the UK
- Universities accepting IELTS score 6.5 in the USA
- Universities accepting IELTS score 6.5 in New Zealand
- Countries Accept IELTS 6.5 For Nurses
Is IELTS compulsory in Australia?
If you meet specific criteria, IELTS is not required in Australia. Students seeking admission to Australia’s top universities can apply without IELTS scores if they have studied in places where the certificates awarded are accepted by the Australian Education System.
The following are some of the conditions proposed by some of Australia’s top universities that accept applications even if one of the conditions is met by the applicant:
- Applicants who have completed their senior secondary education in one of the approved nations and whose medium of instruction is English.
- Indian students who apply can get an IELTS exemption if they can show their CBSE AISSCE certificate. State Board students having 65% or above grades from West Bengal, Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.
- Undergraduate and/or postgraduate students who have graduated from a recognised university or institution where English was used as the medium of instruction are also excused from submitting IELTS results.
- Students who have completed a minimum of one year of postsecondary education at a recognised institution can also be exempted.
- Additionally, students who demonstrate evidence of English abilities honed in a paid or part-time professional context for at least three years are excluded from submitting IELTS scores.
- In lieu of IELTS, a genuine PTE score is also accepted. (It should be noted that Australian universities do not consider TOEFL as a variable for IELTS or PTE.)
Can I get a scholarship with a 6.5 score in Australia?
Yes, you can receive a scholarship if you demonstrate exceptional academic performance, as Australia does not offer scholarships only based on IELTS or other English language exam results. Scholarships are awarded based on merit, and students must demonstrate their eligibility for the scholarship they are applying for. In Australia, there are no scholarship-qualifying exams. The IELTS is the only exam that students may be required to take to show their English language skills.
Listed below are the two renowned scholarships that Indian students can avail:
1. Australian Awards
Under the Australian Scholarships Program, the Australian Government has made a variety of study and research prizes accessible to candidates across the Asia Pacific region, including India. All award details and application forms may be obtained at www.australiaawards.gov.au.
2. The Endeavour Awards
Under the Australian Scholarships Program, the Australian Government has made a variety of study and research grants accessible to candidates across the Asia Pacific region, including India. All award details and application forms may be obtained at www.australiaawards.gov.au.
Visit for more information on all of the scholarships available for various educational levels. Click here
For details regarding institutional scholarships visit the website Study Australia
Is it hard to get into a reputed Australian University?
Most prestigious universities demand a good IELTS/PTE score as well as strong academic accomplishment. However, there are a few universities with acceptance rates that are lower than others, making admission difficult. These are the universities:
|University||Estimated acceptance rate|
|The University of Sydney%||30%|
|The University Of New South Wales||30%|
|Australian National University (ANU)||35%|
|The University Of Western Australia||38%|
|The University Of Melbourne||40%|